Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Can Technology Help Us Fulfill the Great Commission Faster?

Continuing my iChurch Method TV series, I was interviewed at Abilene Christian University about the Theological aspects of Digital Ministry and my response is below:

Theologically I look at technology as a way to reach many more people than using methods that are not technology. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about technology is the great commission and taking the gospel to the four corners. If I had to think of a way to fulfill the great commission in the fastest manner, technology is the first thing I think of so that was the first thing that comes to mind.

I think the technology provides a way for the church to have a much larger reach and give people a way to connect and enhance their lives spiritually. The drawbacks I see about technology in terms of a theological perspective is when the technology becomes something that’s worshipped and takes precedence over the message.

What I believe is technology for all intensive purposes has evolved over time, but we’re still just trying to convey the same message of the gospel. Whether we had this conversation a hundred years ago or a hundred years from now, the delivery method will continue to change and evolve but the message will still be the same. So as long as the message is the focus and not the technology then theologically I believe we are sound and practical in our approach.

So, I just want to make sure that when I’m speaking with churches and we’re talking about a theological perspective, as long as their theological concerns are not based on not understanding technology, coming from a place a fear of technology, or just a fear of change, then I believe that theologically we can continue to have a conversation about how to continue to get the gospel out.

But, if theologically we’re just making sure that we’re trying to make sure the focus is on the message and not the technology, because I’ve seen people that worship technology no matter what’s coming through it; it’s about technology. I just want to make sure that the message stays the focus.

Again, the main thing I look at is that technology gives us a faster effective way to get the gospel out to the entire globe.

For more information on this and other topics, get your copy of “The iChurch Method Volume 1: How to Advance Your Ministry Online.” or The iChurch Method Volume 2: Changing the World When You Login or even sign up for the iChurch Method Online School.



http://www.ichurchmethod.com/technology-great-commission/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=technology-great-commission