Sunday, July 10, 2011

30 days to better health - Chinese Herbal Task - Day 1


Yesterday I went to see Chinese Herbal doctor Leslie Duong, she is a straight forward, humorous lady with a great knowledge for Chinese Herbal medicines. The reason I went to see her was that a co-worker referred her when I mentioned that my cholesterol had went up "again" due to my lack of exercise. The reason I had not exercised in the past 3 - 4 months was due to some over zealous weekend jock trying to break my entire hand on the basketball court. The reason I was even playing basketball was that I had just gotten my cholesterol under control and I was exercising 3 times a week and eating great. Well once I got hurt, I lost interest in working out and thus my cholesterol suffered a bit.

Last week, I went to my regular doctor and had a physical and he said my cholesterol (and weight) had went up substantially and I then informed him that I had gotten away from exercising. Fast forward to yesterday, I spoke with Leslie and informed her that I just wanted to lose about 15 - 20 pounds over 6 months, get back to working out, get my cholesterol down and eventually get my wife in there to see her and get on a regiment as well that included basketball. Leslie took a look at me and asked if my back hurt when I played ball, to which I responded yes at times. I thought it was due to stretching but she said it was my kidneys...ummm..ok. She then said that I appeared young and relatively healthy but she knew that I needed to change my eating habits and cleanse my body. My first thoughts were that she wanted me to do a detox, of which I was against, ive already had moments of taking to much exlax and I refused to take anything that would resemble that. Leslie explained to me that Chinese Herbs are a different type of cleanse, a more gentle cleanse and they get my cholesterol, as well as a host of other issues, under control and back to normal. Once my body was cleansed of the "processed garbage" I had been putting into it for years, I would then be able to maintain a healthy diet, weight and lifestyle.

I was prescribed 2 things todo, one was to drink 40 ounces of these special teas, and the only thing I could add to them for taste was honey. I figured I could do that.

Next, after every meal, which was 3 of them, I was told to take 20 pills....yep, thats right, 20 pills. They look like this:

Yesterday I took the pills for the first time in the afternoon and today I have drank the tea and taken more pills. I can only say that I have noticed three things:


  1. My kidneys didnt hurt this morning when I woke up, they normally do because I have to use the bathroom very badly when I wake up..not the case today.  Well, I still had to go but there was no back pain
  2. I have been to the bathroom ALOT today, mainly doing #1 because of drinking this tea..but I have also went #2 twice.  That's one time more then I usually go per day.
  3. The pills (these are the small ones, she said they have bigger ones) are hard to swallow for me because I dont like to take pills.
That's all for now....see ya tomorrow